Sunday, December 7, 2014

Winter 2014 Collection Part II

I wanted to go in a bit more in depth with some of my more interesting selections as well as show off even more stuff I was able to pick up!

 

First up is a box collection of three beers from Samuel Adams Barrel Room series. Usually these are a little pricey when bought on their own, but a local Costco had them boxed for a great price!


The beers included are Tetravis a Belgian quadruple ale, The Thirteenth Hour a coffee stout/Belgian hybrid, and New World a fruit  Belgian triple


Words on words.


I'm not super familiar with Belgian triples or quadruples so I'm looking forward to sharing these with some friends. The Thirteen Hour stout sounds like it will be awesome as well!


But wait there is more! I stopped by the store yesterday and I noticed something that caught my eye. It was Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red an ale inspired by Flemish reds, aka my favorite style.


My collection of Samuel Adams Barrel Room is almost done!


Next up is Modern Times Black House coffee stout. Modern Times is a craft brewery from San Diego, they are pretty cool because they have open source brewing. Basically, they publish all of their recipes online and allow people to modify, and even take suggestions from their customers in this way!


I have noticed an increase in canned craft beers which come in these cool four packs.


I've been taking a liking to darker porters and stouts, I'm pretty confident this beer won't disappoint!


Wooh! Something I'm super excited about. This is Hangar 24's Barrel Rool No. 05, Chandelle. Chandelle is a sour made from a base beer, Polycot. This is the first non-red sour I've ever encountered, so I was pretty interested to try it.


The last time this beer was made was 2012, so I'm very fortunate it was released during the time I've been really into Hangar 24 beers.


The Barrel Roll series beers from Hangar 24 are usually named after airplane maneuvers, In this case Chandelle appears to be some sort of U-turn.


The only way to pick up one of these beers was from the brewery, so I made a quick stop to pick it up! Limited release, I got bottle 1129/3060.


Along Chandelle I also picked up a seasonal Local Fields Warmer. This beer is made with PINE TREES. They literally go up to the San Bernardino mountains to pick their ingredients for the beer.


A dark beer for a nice winter day, this is what Warmer is all about.


So I've been able to amass a pretty good collection of Hangar 24's stuff, I'm going to try the Chandelle soon, if it is awesome I might go and pick another up before they run out; who knows when they will made more again.


Lastly, is my group of sour beers. They range from red to brown-red styles as well as in levels of funk. Petrus Aged Red, Rodenbach, and Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale.


Hmmmm, nice.


I have never tried Petrus Aged Red, but I've read pretty good reviews about it online.


Flemish sour, my favorite!


I've also red some stuff about this beer, notably its extreme sourness. Yes!


I've tried Rodenbach Grand Cru before, it's the same beer, just different blend styles. Grand Cru has more mature ale while the normal Rodenbach has more young.


I really like the Grand Cru version of this beer, I'm guessing I'll like this one as well. I'm most looking forward to seeing the differences between young/mature styles between the two.

So that's my time, see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment