Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Nintendo Gameboy DMG Back Light Mod - Preparation

So today I have something new that I am extremely excited about! I recently bought a Nintendo Gameboy DMG, the original grey brick from the swap meet for a project I had been planning for a while.

______________________

So basically the DMG has been one of the most influential and important pieces of gaming equipment of all time. Its been over TWO decades since it was released but you can still find many in perfect working conditions. When going from our modern gaming systems and phones though, it is really apparent that this is 20 year old technology which you are holding in your hands.

In order to get around this, there are a couple of extremely talented modders out which try to revive and modernize this system, and thankfully they make it easy for enthusiasts to do the same.


The mod which I was most interested in was adding a back light to the DMG. Since it does not have one, playing in the dark is basically impossible but with the advancements in LED technology, ultra slim panels and bulbs are widespread and cheap while drawing little electricity.
____________________

So I ordered a Sapphire Blue back light kit from Nonfinite Electronics, basically a plug and play kit which requires very little soldering in order to install. They have tons of colors to choose from and many other products. I also ordered a diffused blue LED for the power indicator light so it will match the new screen.

Link for backlight kit

Link for Diffused LED


Once installed it should be something like this:


__________________

Another awesome site which I used for this project is ASM Retro. I ordered a black button set and a black screen cover to personalize my DMG.

Link for DMG Button Set

Link for DMG Screen Cover
_____________

At the end of the project my DMG should be something like this except with a black screen cover and no Pro-sound mod at the bottom left corner:

I shall be trying this project this weekend when I go home, and if it all works out I will be posting up my new and improved DMG! I seriously can't wait, see you next time!

Serious shoutout to:

ASM Retro

&

Nonfinite Electronics

2 comments: